OLDHAM have closed the book on the goal that never was; their 25-24 defeat by Swinton Lions; and the hammer-blow at a televised Summer Bash of letting slip a 20-0 half-time lead. The defeat kept them rooted in the Championship’s bottom two.
The focus at training last night was not so much on the awful second-half performance at Bloomfield Road as on looking ahead to Sunday’s game against third-in-the-table Batley Bulldogs at the Fox’s Biscuits Stadium where they have been beaten only once all season — 32-24 by Swinton Lions in April.
“Last weekend will take some getting over, but we have to move on quickly because we go again on Sunday and it’s always tough at Batley,” said coach Scott Naylor.
“We have a very difficult few weeks ahead of us, but hopefully we will learn something from last weekend’s game.”
There were no new injuries, although Danny Langtree was taken off near the end after receiving a blow on an old bicep injury which bothers him from time to time. He trained normally last night, however, and is expected to be okay by Sunday.
Other good news concerns Danny Grimshaw. He didn’t play against Swinton because of a groin problem, but he will resume training on Thursday night and hopefully he will be available for selection by weekend.
Batley were second in the table, having won six and drawn one of their first eight games, when they came to Bower Fold on April 3 and were beaten 28-12.
It was the first of four defeats in a row for John Kear’s men, who have regained their early-season form to win their last three against Halifax, Workington and Dewsbury,
Other injury updates:
- Richard Lepori has had a scan on his damaged shoulder and results will be known soon.
- Jon Ford will have an injection tomorrow into his damaged knee, but he isn’t expected to play again for some time yet.
- Tom Ashton has suffered a setback in training to an old knee injury and may have to see a specialist.
- Craig Briscoe may have to do the same on his knee injury which has started to bother him again.
- Jack Spencer (broken hand) could be ready in a fortnight.
- Jamel Chisholm (finger) will probably need surgery.