PAUL Crook is only 11 points short of reaching 2,000 in a professional career stretching back to the 2005/6 season.
To date, Oldham’s stand-off has kicked 82 goals in Betfred League 1 in his first season with Roughyeds plus another 12 in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup, making 94 in total.
With 82, he is currently fourth in this season’s League 1 goalkickers behind Connor Robinson of York City Knights (112), Benn Hardcastle of Keighley Cougars (98) and Dane Chisholm of Bradford Bulls (93).
Six more goals will give him 100 for Oldham this season and take him beyond the 2,000 career points milestone.
His total currently stands at 1,989, achieved with 72 tries, 843 goals and 15 drop goals, divided into clubs as follows:
- 2005/6 Widnes: 19 points (nine goals, one drop goal).
- 2008 Doncaster: 34 points (two tries, 13 goals).
- 2009 Swinton: 18 points (nine goals).
- 2010/2016 Rochdale Hornets: 1,497 points, post-war club record (65 tries, 613 goals, 11 drop goals).
- 2017 Whitehaven: 225 points (three tries, 105 goals, three drop goals).
- 2018 Oldham (to date): 196 points (two tries, 94 goals).
Another Oldham milestone seeker is Danny Langtree, whose try at Doncaster gave him 15 for the season and enabled him to equal Tommy Goulden’s haul in 2008, the best by a specialist second-rower in the life of the new Oldham club.
One more try and Danny boy is a Roughyeds’ record-breaker.
Gareth Owen, meanwhile, is two appearances short of his 100 for his home-town club, which he will probably reach in our next home game against Whitehaven at the Vestacare Stadium (3pm) on Sunday week, August 12.
Kick-off at Hemel
Fans should note that this Sunday’s game at Hemel Stags kicks-off at 2pm.