ED Smith is out of Oldham’s Betfred League 1 clash against Coventry Bears at the home of Rugby Lions RUFC on Sunday (3pm kick-off).
The former York back-row forward is suffering from a rib problem and the decision has already been taken to leave him out of the squad that will travel to the Warwickshire market town of Rugby where, according to legend, William Webb Ellis first “picked up the ball and ran” during a soccer match at Rugby School.
Zack McComb, Danny Bridge and Jack Spencer are also having treatment for knocks, but Smith is the only one ruled out so far.
Further checks will be made on Saturday morning but coach Scott Naylor has previously intimated that he will be making changes in the hope that everyone will be fit for next week’s game at Hunslet and then, in all probability, the play-offs.
- With two league games left and then the play-offs, Ritchie Hawkyard is three tries short of reaching a career 100. He scored one for Bradford, 50 for Swinton Lions, 34 for Keighley Cougars and 12 so far in his first season for Roughyeds.
- Danny Langtree (2-2-2) and Matty Wilkinson (1-2-1) have each scored tries in the last three games against the Bears. Oldham have won all six previous games.
- There’s a 30 per cent reduction on all remaining Roughyeds replicas and leisure wear. Ring 07904 898177 or drop into the club office Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 10am and 3pm.
- The next ORSA quiz night will be next Thursday, September 5, in the sponsors suite, starting at 8pm. Entry into the quiz costs £1 and there’s a £200 jackpot on the night.
- Betfred is to extend its sponsorship of the Championship and League 1 by a further two years — and more than double its annual financial contribution.