Oldham RLFC

The Roughyeds


Three released as we head for business end of the season

ROUGHYEDS can confirm that three players have left the club as we head towards the business end of the season.

Matthew Fletcher, Kyran Johnson and Callum Green have left us and we thank them for what they have contributed to the club during their time here. They leave with the club’s best wishes for success in whichever path they pursue in the future.

Johnson and Green have departed due to changes in their day-to-day work patterns which mean they can no longer take part regularly in squad training sessions.

Frustrated because he has not been getting in the side regularly, Fletcher asked to be released and after due consideration of the request — and consultations about it with the coaching staff — the club has agreed to let him go.

Aged 21, the former Waterhead ARLFC and Bradford Bulls Academy player has played in 14 of a possible 23 games since he returned from a spell in Australia and signed for Roughyeds at the start of the ill-fated 2020 campaign.

He played in all six games before the season was curtailed, scoring a try from loose-forward when an injury-hit side lost 58-6 at Toulouse Olympique.

In the current Championship season, he has made the 17 eight times from 17 games, but he hasn’t been called upon since we played Dewsbury Rams at Bower Fold at the end of June, thus missing the last four games.

Callum Green, a young full-back or half-back, who signed from Warrington Wolves at the start of this season, has made seven appearances — two off the bench and five at full-back.

He lost his place after a 68-0 defeat at Featherstone on May 17 and has played only once since against Dewsbury Rams at home on June 27. He has made one appearance in the last nine.

Of the three, Johnson has been at the club the longest, since the start of the 2018 season to be precise. He played 16 times that season and another 15 in the League One promotion side of 2019, including a left-wing appearance in the successful Promotion Final win over Newcastle Thunder.

In total he scored 12 tries for Roughyeds in 35 games, but partially because of an ankle injury on a left-flank raid sustained in the move that produced the winning try in the Promotion Final, he hasn’t played for nearly 18 months.


News Categories

Purpose Marketing
Oldham Times
Property Buying
CDX Security
Salford University
H Mullaney & Son
Swans Travel
Donkeystone Brewery
CDX Security


Social Media